- You can search for studies or series by typing in a search term (words, a study number, year) in the search box. The spaces between words are interpreted as AND.
- You can also do complex searches using the Boolean operators OR, NOT.
- Your search query is treated both as a free-text search (i.e. it will match occurrences of that search string in the most relevant metadata fields in the catalogue records) and as a Keyword search.
The autosuggest menu displays possible terms and a list of HASSET keywords.
You can use the following filters to refine your search:
- Are subject terms drawn from the UK Data Archive’s Humanities and Social Science Electronic Thesaurus (HASSET).
- Have been used to index each study at the concept or variable level, and represent the concepts covered by that study.
- Can be searched directly by typing “Keyword:” into the search box, followed by the Keyword in question in capital letters, for example Keyword:POVERTY.
- Find out more about using HASSET to search for data.
- Date from: Scroll up/down or type in a year.
- Date to: Scroll up/down or type in a year.
- Topic: Topic is the overall subject area of a study or series. Click on the empty box and choose one of the options offered. You can type one or more words to reduce the range of options. Note: The filter only contains a limited set of high-level topics.
- Data type: Data type includes cohort and longitudinal studies, UK survey data, business micro data and census data. Click on the empty box and select one of the options. You can type one or more words to reduce the range of options.
- Access: Data held within the UK Data Service collections are subject to three access levels: open, safeguarded and controlled. Click on the box and select one of the following options:
- Open: open access. No registration required, free to download.
- Safeguarded: requires registration. Safeguarded data are either End User Licence (agree to End User Licence and log in to access data) or Special Licence (require additional specific permission from depositor to access data).
- Controlled: restricted to ‘Approved Researchers’. Requires face-to-face security training and data access limited through a physical or virtual environment.
- Country: Click on the empty box and choose one of the options offered. You can type one or more words to reduce the range of options.
- You can sort your results by using the options ‘most recently released’, ‘date of collection (newest)’, ‘relevance’, or title (A-Z or Z-A).
- Clicking on the title of a study or series takes you to the corresponding data catalogue record page, which provides you with:
- detailed information on the title, study number, PID, series, principal investigator, sponsors, contributors, topics, keywords, abstract, coverage and methodology, citation and copyright, the edition history, and the DOI
- access conditions.
Read the Data Impact blog on Search Optimisation of our Data Catalogue to find out more information about the enhancements and optimisation of the search functionality of the data catalogue.